Saturday, April 16, 2011

Record Store Day 2011

As most of you know, today was Record Store Day, a virtual holiday for music geeks. Along with special promotions, there are limited releases that come out exclusively to be sold at participating RSD stores. It's a chance for us music fans to pick up some cool stuff, and a way to promote the independent record stores across the country and possibly send them into the black.

Let's face it, your ipod is all well and good, but there's nothing like holding the physical disc (vinyl or otherwise) in your hands, examining the artwork, adjusting the volume and getting acquainted with a new friend. That's the service these stores provide. Big box stores don't care much about the serious music fan, and are unlikely to stock much that isn't in the top 100 or isn't a well worn classic that everyone's heard a billion times to the point that it no longer has much relevance. You're going to find it difficult to order a disc to the store, and good luck getting any decent recommendations from the staff. Nope, you can only do that at your local, independent music store. And not just today, all the time.

I dropped the ball by not talking about Record Store Day on this blog before now, but I don't intend to let that mistake happen again.

As mentioned earlier, there are many limited releases, and some are hard to get your hands on. Due to other commitments I couldn't go shopping until late afternoon and I missed a few records that I really wanted (Bad Brains, Foo Fighters, Buck Owens, Mastodon/ZZ Top split, Rush). But here's a list of what I did buy.

CDs

Crowded House-North America Travelogue 2010 (RSD release)
Metallica-Live At Grimey's (RSD release last year-got it today)
Eddie Spaghetti-Sundowner

Vinyl

Flogging Molly-Don't Shut 'Em Down (single-RSD release)

Johnny Cash-With His Hot And Blue guitar (used-Sun label, great shape)
Joan Jett and The Blackhearts-I Love Rock And Roll (RSD 30th Anniv. release)
Pearl Jam-Vitalogy (new vinyl reissue)

It's probably a good thing I didn't get there too early, I might not have had any money left!!! Some worthy additions to the collection, I feel. Super excited about the Johnny Cash record. Also digging the Joan Jett, I had the original when it came out. I was eight years old and played it daily for a full summer. Interested to hear the Crowded House as many feel they are one of the most underrated 80's pop bands and this is a 3 disc live set so I hope it's good. Anyway, I've got lots to listen to and absorb in the coming weeks. Always makes me happy.

So...what did you buy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged. Insults are not. Keep it civil people.